8.14.2013

Ways To Be Healthy On A Roadtrip

There was a great article in Shape magazine this month where Jillian Michae's gave tips to stay healthy when you hit the road.  I know I stress over being on a trip yet still wanting to be health and thought her ideas were great so I just had to share them!

Tip #1: Map It Out.  Before Jillian even begins to pack for a trip she does some research.  She tries to make sure the hotel where she is staying will have a decent gym.  There are also airports that have fitness centers or yoga rooms-a new feature that is starting to pop up.  That way if your flight has a layover or is delayed you can get in a workout for a nominal fee.

Tip #2: HIIT, Then Run. Because of her busy schedule, Jillian's goal is to be in and out in 30 minutes.  Her strategy is to multitask using HIIT, or high-intensity interval training.  "I get up to 85 percent of my maximum heart rate and exercise at least two muscle groups at the same time with a combination of lunges, curls, squats and presses," she explains.  "I achieve my goal quickly so I'm free to enjoy the rest of my day, but I make that half our count."

Tip #3: Build Your Own Gym. On occasions where there isn't an available gym Jillian doesn't panic. " I turn the furniture in my room into my workout equipment," she says. For cardio, she does step-ups on a low coffee table or footstool, while a table or chair can work for triceps dips. Squats, lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, and planks can all be performed on the carpet. 

Tip #4: Go On Location. If you want to take a break from your normal fitness routine while you are on vacation then just stay active on your trip and take cues from your locale. "If  you're going to a place like Hawaii, take a surfing lesson, bike one of the craters, or hike the trails," she says.  "Heading abroad? Pack some cross-trainers and wear them while sightseeing.  You're in an amazing city--don't just sit there like a bump on a log.  Tour the town. You burn a lot of calories when you're walking all day and there's no better way to experience the landscape.

Tip #5: Pack Smart Munchies. To curb the urge to splurge, Jillian always carries along her own healthy snacks. "What I include depends on how long my journey is," she says. "If it's just a day, I bring hard-boiled eggs, organic cheese sticks, and chili-lemon almonds I get from the farmers' market.: On lengthier trips Jillian remembers to grab packets of instant oatmeal that she can make with water from the hotel rooms coffeemaker.  "That way I can avoid the usual breakfast traps like Danish and doughnuts."

Tip #6: Don't Let The Road Kill Your Diet. Not matter how prepared she is, sometimes Jillian has to resort to "unhappy" meals while traveling.  "I try to make the best choices in a bad situation," she says. "Even those roadside mini-marts have healthy food options." In a pinch, she recommend reaching for yogurt or raw or dry-roasted nuts.  And when you stop for a full meal, seek out one of the steakhouse chains.  "I can always get a piece of grilled fish and some vegetables," says Jillian. "Road food doesn't have to be a disaster--and occasionally you'll find some that's pretty good."

Tip #7: Get Back in Gear. If you do bring a few unwanted pounds home don't beat yourself up.  The best thing you can do for your body and your mind is to resume your regular routine immediately, scheduling a workout for the day after you return. "You just had a great time on a vacation," says Jillian. "Now you need to get your butt back in gear and move it. Full throttle."

No comments: