4.21.2015

Toasted Coconut Kettle Corn

I am a huge snacker, some days I realize I haven't really eaten a meal I have just snacked all day! Eating like that can definitely get me in to trouble so I try to keep healthier snacks around for those days when I just want to snack! Popcorn is great and full of fiber, you just have to be careful of what you put on it. While my grandma is completely happy using her air popper to make a batch of popcorn and she will eat it plain, that just doesn't work for me. I have tried it and just can't do it! So luckily there are some healthier and delicious ways to top it. If you love coconut and almonds you will love this recipe! Perfect combination of salty and sweet, I think I will have to make another batch today!

Toasted Coconut Kettle Corn
 Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup popcorn kernels
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/2-1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 ½ cups unsweetened toasted coconut chips
1 cup Blue Diamond Toasted Coconut Almonds

In a large pot with a lid, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add in 2 or 3 popcorn kernels, when those pop you know the oil is hot enough. Add in the popcorn kernels and sprinkle the sugar over them.  Cover and stir or shake the pan until the popping slows down. The popcorn should be done popping in about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour the kettle corn into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss. You may want to start with a little less salt and then add more depending on how salty/sweet you like your popcorn. Add the toasted coconut chips and Toasted Coconut Almonds.

This recipe is still great even if you don't have or don't like coconut chips and the toasted coconut almonds. You can also sub regular plain almonds or roasted and salted almonds. If you don't want to spend the time toasting the coconut in a pan or in your oven just throw it on without toasting, it's still tasty. And if you want the popcorn a little sweeter use sweetened coconut. You have lots of options here!

Adapted from twopeasandtheirpod.com

No comments: