10.28.2011

Oven "Fried" Pickles from The Titanium Chef

A couple of years ago I went to Memphis to visit a friend and he took me out for some Southern bbq and deep fried pickles.  Now I love pickles but the last thing that I thought would taste good was pickles that were deep fried.  They brought them out with ranch to dip them in, I decided to be brave and took a bite, and I was in love!  They were amazing!  The warm but still crunchy pickle, battered and deep fried and then dipped in ranch was the perfect combination.  Sadly though, they aren't the best thing you could be eating, not even remotely close.  So when I saw this recipe for oven "fried" pickles I had to give them a try and surprisingly they were just as good as the fried ones.  But with the ones cooked in the oven I could eat a lot more, they are way lower in calories, and best of all you don't have to mess with hot oil.  Pair them with a low fat ranch dressing and they are delicious.  Give them a shot, even if you think they sound a little scary...I promise you won't regret it!

Oven "Fried" Pickles
Yield 6 servings
Serving size: 4-6 slices

Oven Fried PicklesPhoto from penniesonaplatter.com
1 jar whole pickles sliced into thick round slices
2 eggs
1/3 cup flour
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Cajun seasoning (I didn't have this, they still were great)
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs (regular bread crumbs work too, Panko just make them crispier)
Ranch dressing, for serving

Preheat the broiler to high.  Set a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with non stick spray. 

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and flour. Add Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and pepper.  Stir until fully incorporated.

Place the Panko bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Dip the pickle first in the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs.  Set on the greased wire rack and repeat with remaining slices.

Broil for about 3 minutes on each side.  Be sure to watch them closely, they can burn quickly. Serve with ranch dressing. 



No comments: