10.18.2011

Healthy Pumpkin Bread from The Titanium Chef

My favorite part about fall, other than the leaves changing, is that it means I can start baking with pumpkin!  To me that means it is really fall.  I love the smell of the pumpking and spices as they are baking, it makes my house smell amazing.  Pumpkin bread is one of my favorite things to eat, but I have a hard time enjoying it when I know that it is loaded with sugar and fat.  So I did some research to find a healthier recipe, tweaked it a little bit and came up with a great recipe.  If you like your pumpkin bread a little sweeter you can increase the sugar, I like mine less sweet and love toasting a slice up in the morning and add a little butter to it.  Try it out, its delicious!

Healthy Pumpkin Bread
1 loaf: 16 servings

1/3 cup brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1 1/4 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/3 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray bread pan with non stick spray.  In a large bowl with whisk combine brown sugar and egg whites.  Add pumpkin, applesauce and vanilla and mix till combined.  In a smaller bowl combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.  Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stir until just combined.  Do not overmix.  Pour batter into pan, bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan 10 minutes.  Invert on cooling rack; cool completely. 


No comments: