9.14.2010

Did you feed your brain today?

In college I had a nutrition teacher who one day lectured on the benefits of eating breakfast.  One girl raised her hand and said, "I am never hungry in the morning so I don't want to eat breakfast".  The teacher then said, "You don't have to be hungry, but you need to eat to feed your brain".  She then everyday would ask us if we had "fed our brain" that day.  I know I definitely notice a difference in how well I function during the day when I have and have not had breakfast.  So if you didn't have breakfast today then start tommorow and feed your brain, you will be glad you did!

And here is another tasty breakfast idea for you:

Cranberry Muesli

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
6 T old fashioned rolled oats
2 T dried cranberries
1 T raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 T wheat germ
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt

Combine yogurt, juice, oats, cranberries, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, honey, vanilla and sea salt in a medium bowl.  cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 1 day.

You do need to plan ahead a bit on this recipe, mix it up at night before you go to bed and in the morning all you have to do is pull it out of the fridge and enjoy!

No comments: